If you’re looking for SR-22 insurance in Illinois, you may have questions about the filing process, where to purchase a policy, pricing, and more. Illinois requires proof from insurance companies that certain high-risk customers have the state minimum liability coverage in place. This is not a type of insurance but rather a form submitted to the state that certifies a driver has the necessary insurance. An SR-22 is ordered by a court or your state. If it’s court-ordered, the judge will let you know at the hearing. If it’s state-ordered, you’ll typically get a letter from the department (or bureau) of motor vehicles. Source URL
Having to file an SR-22 means you have something on your driving record that’s going to increase your premiums, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you need to switch to a high-risk insurance company. Source URL
If you live in Illinois, you may want to check with your local insurance company to see if they offer high-risk drivers coverage. The Illinois Automobile Insurance Plan (ILAIP) is a program that assigns high- risk drivers to insurance providers in the state. Source URL
Cheapest Companies Offering the Best SR22 Insurance in Illinois
Mercury is the cheapest provider for SR-22 insurance in Illinois, with an average annual rate of $486. SafeAuto is another popular choice for SR-22 drivers because it’s an affordable way to get coverage. Source URL, Source URL
Failure to Comply with Illinois SR22 Mandatory Car Insurance
- Minimum $500 fine for driving uninsured
- Minimum $1,000 fine for driving a vehicle while the license plates are suspended for a previous insurance violation
- First Offense: $100 reinstatement fee when current evidence of insurance is provided
- Repeat Offenders: Required to serve a four (4) month suspension period, pay the $100 reinstatement fee and provide current evidence of insurance before being eligible for reinstatement Source URL
Causes of SR22 Insurance
This insurance is required if you have several traffic violations, a DUI, DWI, or other insurance violations, or if your license has been suspended or revoked. Also, If you are caught driving without insurance, you may need to get SR22 or high-risk insurance. SR-22 insurance has the same minimum liability limits as other insurance policies. Source URL, Source URL, Source URL, Source URL
- Unsatisfied judgments
- Driver’s license suspension as a result of a conviction for:
- Voluntary or involuntary manslaughter resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle
- Perjury, making a false affidavit to the DMV regarding the registration of motor vehicles, or making a false statement on any driver’s license application
- Any crime punishable as a felony under the motor vehicle law or any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used
- Failure of a driver of a motor vehicle, involved in an accident resulting in death or injury to another person, to stop and disclose his identity at the scene of the accident
- Operating or permitting the operation, for a second time, of a passenger automobile for transportation of passengers for rent or for hire, without a license
- Uninsured motor vehicle suspension
- Failure to provide proof of insurance associated with insurance monitoring
- Falsifying insurance certification
Insurance Companies and Illinois Department of Insurance
According to Illinois Department of Insurance, the state’s regulators are in charge of regulating insurance companies, agencies, and agents. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), auto insurance companies operating in Illinois are required to maintain documentary information about insurance rates. Source URL, Source URL
UAI is particularly popular for its high-risk car insurance, SR-22 certificates, and same-day auto insurance policies. The company caters mainly to higher-risk drivers who may have been denied by other insurers, although UAI insures drivers across Illinois and Indiana with all types of insurance needs.
You can request a quote or obtain car insurance today by visiting UnitedAutoInsurance.com. Call the company and speak with an agent to receive same-day auto insurance in Illinois or Indiana.
|United Auto Insurance Company Info|
|Company Address||3201 North Harlem AveChicago, IL 60634|
Cost of SR22 Insurance in Illinois
An SR-22 filing will increase your insurance rate by 89 percent, on average, or by about $1,280 annually. The cost of SR-22 insurance in Illinois varies depending on the severity of your offense. For example, a hit-and-run violation is more expensive than a DUI. Source URL, Source URL
If you previously received good driver discounts, you may no longer qualify for them, which makes SR-22 insurance more expensive. Source URL
While the SR-22 filing fee is usually low, it’s possible that your insurance premium will increase if you have a history of serious violations, such as a DUI or DWI. That’s because your insurance company may consider you a high-risk driver. Source URL
How Long You Need SR22 Insurance Coverage in Illinois
Illinois Government Offices and Policies
Office of the Illinois Secretary of State Mandatory Insurance Division 501 S. 2nd St. , Rm. Source URL
SR22 Insurance Covers Minimum Coverage in Illinois
In Illinois, you must have $25,000 in bodily injury liability coverage, up to $50,000 per accident, and $2,000 for liability coverage for property damage. You must also have uninsured/underinsured motorist protection. Source URL, Source URL
These policies are typically much more expensive than traditional policies. That’s because drivers who require one of these certificates are considered high-risk. In addition, each of these policies has minimum coverage requirements above and beyond what the state requires for the general population.
An SR-22 proves that you have the following coverage:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $20,000 property damage liability per accident
- $25,000 uninsured motorist coverage per person
- $50,000 uninsured motorist coverage per accident Source URL
Average Cost of SR22 Car Insurance for Drivers in Illinois
Other factors also play a role in the cost of SR-22 auto insurance in Illinois. If you have an SR 22 filing, you should compare quotes from at least three different insurance providers to get the best rates. Source URL
Insurance with an SR-22 in Illinois can be expensive. This isn’t due to the cost of obtaining an SR-22 certificate — filing fees are usually $15 to $35 — but a product of the insurance cost increases caused by the citation that prompted the SR-22 in the first place.
Insurance companies bill high-risk drivers increased rates because of the heightened risk of having to pay out a claim after a collision. The rate increase you will face will depend on the frequency and severity of the violations — below are typical auto insurance rates for drivers with SR-22s in Illinois.
|High-risk rating factor||Average annual rate||Increase vs. no violations|
|At-fault accident (>$2,000)||$2,057||$755|
|Speeding (21-25 mph > limit)||$1,746||$443|
- An SR-22 is a form filed by an insurance company to confirm your coverage.
- You may need an SR-22 after a DUI, driving without insurance, or other traffic violations.
- SR-22 insurance is more expensive because you are categorized as a high-risk driver.
- You can shop around for insurance, even with a bad record, to find cheaper SR-22 rates.